Do you have a post election hangover? Me too! I’m so glad it’s over! Since some folks feel like their world is upside down this morning, I thought these little fellas would be a good way to celebrate! No matter your opinions, I think we can all agree on cake, pineapple, and cherries for the WIN!!! Healthier pineapple upside down cakes are so delicious that you won’t miss the eggs and oil in these perfectly portioned cakes! The texture is moist and sweet with a ring of pineapple and cherry greeting you. No matter if you eat the fruit first or last, these cakes will please everyone. You can make these in small cupcake tins and cut the pineapple up, not as pretty as using the 6 cup tin, but just as delicious. Cake mixes were 10/$10 the last few weeks, so I miraculously had a few boxes of mix in my cupboard. I’ve been cutting out eggs and oil in box mixes for a while now and no one ever comments negatively so I don’t even mention it anymore.
I was invited to a dinner with friends and wanted to bring something besides my bad self. I didn’t feel like going to the grocery store and didn’t have enough chocolate hanging around but I had a cake mix and some canned fruit. Shockingly enough, I also had plain yogurt. I usually keep the flavored yogurt around for lunches, but for some reason, a container of plain yogurt had made it for longer than a week in the fridge, escaping its’ demise. These little cakes were perfect because they were perfectly portioned so there was no cutting and you can eat them with your hands if there’s a shortage of plates and forks around, which there was at this house. It was make your own pizza night, hence the lack of silverware, so I thought these would be perfect for the ‘eat with your hands’ theme.
30 min. Serves 6
- 1 box cake mix (Just the mix, not all the ingredients they tell you to add to it)
- 1 (8 ounce) container of plain Greek yogurt (I use non-fat but any fat will do)
- 1 cup water
- 1 can no sugar added pineapple rings
- 6 maraschino cherries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 6 cup muffin tin with no-stick spray
- Mix cake mix, yogurt (Chobani is my personal favorite), and water together in a mixing bowl about two minutes with mixer.
- Put one pineapple ring and cherry in the bottom of each muffin tin
- Distribute cake mix evenly among six tins
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. When a toothpick comes out clean, they’re done.
- Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack.
- Run a knife or flat edge around each cake.
- Flip out onto the wire rack to cool.
- Serve cold with ice cream