Remember that doughnut hole cake? I’ve been thinking about it ever since. Really. It’s been about a month since that lovely creation came out of a FL kitchen for a birthday, so I thought that Valentine’s Day might be another great
excuse day to splurge and have something baked with doughnuts. See? The creative mind cannot be stopped!
You’ll love this because it’s bite sized, takes the help of box mix. and can be ready in no time if you’re like everyone else: busy but want to do something thoughtful for others. I did use the help of a yellow box mix because I wanted these for a dish to pass and was of course: working. I did choose to make homemade butter cream icing and dye it red. I also added cocoa to half the butter cream for a light chocolate flavor. Food coloring can make these extra festive plus a sprinkle of sprinkles
1 hr. + cool time
makes 24 cupcakes
- 1 box mix (yellow)
- eggs, oil, water, etc… to make the mix
- 1 box chocolate doughnut holes
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- Pre-heat oven according to box directions.
- Prepare mix as directed.
- Drop one doughnut hole in each cupcake liner
- Pour batter until 2/3 full.
- Cook according to box directions.
- Cool completely.
- Prepare butter cream icing by mixing butter, confectioners sugar, and vanilla.
- Add milk until the desired consistency is reached to spread or pipe.
- Add 1/2 cup cocoa to icing if you want chocolate/light brown icing.
- Spread or pipe icing on cupcakes.
More loving desserts?