Protein. Fiber. Taste! PERFECT! These were an experiment turned happy surprise for a quick lunch one day. I’ve been craving fish lately (omega 3′s perhaps) but didn’t want to head to the grocery store since I was in a rush. I did have some tuna in the cupboard, and the black beans were next to it, so I considered it was a match made in heaven. I pan fry these to give them a nice crust on the outside and they are a “looser” mix burger so they might not hold together if put under big pressure (like hands in a bun) so be prepared. I baked a batch too and didn’t like them as much. You are welcome to do what you like, it’s your kitchen!
You’ll love these because not only are they healthy, they are filling and easy to make. They freeze like magic and can keep to just grab and go in the mornings. If you pack your lunch like I do almost every day, these are great because you grab one in the morning, it thaws in your lunchbox, and just zap it in the microwave for a fast lunch (or slow lunch). I make a batch and then freeze them for a few hours on a plate (single stack) and then put them in a freezer bag for the week ahead.
10 min. + cook time
makes three good sized patties or four smaller patties
- 1 can tuna, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of all purpose seasoning of your choice
- hot sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Use a potato masher or equivalent, to beat the mixture and break up the beans.
- You could use a food processor but I don’t have one of those.
- The mix should be coarse still but not totally pulverized into baby food.
- Pre-heat saute pan with some olive oil or spray.
- Form three patties (for burger sized patties) and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown and heated through.
- Serve hot!
- You can also bake these: 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.
I make them and freeze them individually for quick lunches.
After cooking them, wrap individually in waxed paper (parchment is fine) and free in a freezer bag.
To heat, remove from paper, put on a plate and microwave for 1-2 minutes for a fast meal.