Squash make a great vehicle (literally) for some of your other favorite fillings. While cheese does make everything better, you could omit the cheese on this one for an extra healthy side dish or main dish if you added some meat/beans/mushrooms. Let your imagination go wild!
10 min. + cooking time
- 1 medium squash cut lengthwise (I used summer/yellow this time around)
- 1 small squash cut into small cubes
- **you could also use a large squash and just split it up
- 1/4 c. onion chopped
- 6 oz. spinach leaves (big handfuls)
- optional: cheese of choice, I used mozzarella cut into small cubes
- olive oil
- Saute cubed squash and onion in olive oil over medium heat until squash begins to soften.
- Add spinach and cook down, another minute or two.
- Add cheese to mixture and season to taste.
- Hollow out medium squash or half of large squash that has been divided. Remove the seeds but leave as much flesh as possible. Season them with salt/pepper and pre-heat your grill, grill pan, or skillet.
- Grill them on both sides, about two minutes per side until flesh begins to soften and you get some nice grill marks.
- Fill the boats on the grill and let them cook for another minute for the mixture to marry.