Weekly seafood=indulgence….at $5 lb. for fresh mussels, it’s not a bad deal, especially when the rest of the ingredients for the meal are really cheap–less than $5 to get dinner on the table cheap. While I realize it’s still way over some folks’ food budget, I will take aim at a special occasion dinner that anyone can make.
**Advance apologies for the photos. It was dark when I got home to make supper….and this meal doesn’t present the next day when the sun is out at all. Why? There was no leftovers 🙂
Mussels marina can be served with pasta or just get a big loaf (or make) of bread and serve it hot and dip your heart out. Either way, you can’t lose.
- 1 lb. mussels in their shells
- 2 16 oz. cans of diced italian style tomatoes or one 32 ounce can
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 t. fresh garlic
- 1/2 c. white wine or chicken stock
- italian seasoning
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
- olive oil
- Using a wide and deep saute pan, brown onion and garlic in olive oil until the onion gets translucent.
- Add wine and cook off some of the liquid, about 5 min.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Season with italian seasoning and salt/pepper to taste.
- While simmering, add mussels to marina. Put a lid on it and simmer for 10 min.
- Mussels that don’t open need to be removed and thrown away!
- Serve with crusty bread or pasta or by themselves…YUM!