Thin burger, caramelized onions, grilled bread, yum…I love a good patty melt. Truth be told, I never ate many of them until I moved south. I have no idea why. Something was missing from my life and this might have been it. I am seriously in love with this meal because of its’ simplicity, its’ cost, and versatility depending on the audience. This patty melt will leave you wanting seconds!
less than 30 minutes
- 1 lb. ground beef of your choice (turkey works great too!)
- 2 T. steak seasoning
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 c. mushrooms (canned or fresh)
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- Mix meat with steak seasoning and garlic powder in a bowl. Form meat into four patties that are large and flat enough for the bread.
- Heat griddle (or pans) to medium high heat.
- Spray with cooking spray or use some vegetable oil to coat the bottom.
- Start onions on one side of griddle. Add mushrooms.
- Start patties on the other side of the griddle. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- When patties are ready to flip, flip them onto the onions and mushrooms. This will get the patties and mixture incorporated and they will blend together when they cook.
- Cook an additional 2 minutes and then top with cheese.
- While cheese is melting, toast bread on griddle or in toaster.
- When cheese is melted, lay out patties on bread.
- Serve hot and delicious!!!
Do you ever get sick of melted cheese?
**disclaimer: I had to shoot these photos towards dusk. having a job/career tends to get in the way of my photographs in the natural light.