It seems you can’t go wrong putting some sweet potato in your mouth. Packed with nutrients, high in fiber, and delicious, the sweet potato is amazing.
As I’ve journeyed to getting healthier, I’ve started to turn to the sweet potato on a regular basis. Making them delicious without drowning them in butter and keeping them ‘exciting’ to eat can be a challenge.
Here’s one suggestion: a sweet potato cake. You can stray from the recipe and do some neat things with these! You don’t have to brown them in a pan, you can bake them. You don’t need the egg, but the binder of breadcrumbs and oatmeal gives them a nice texture. You don’t need the red pepper, I like spicy food! You can add some dipping sauce–I ate them as fast as they came out of the pan!
- 2 good size mashed sweet potatoes, cooked, no skin. I steamed mine in the microwave and then peeled them. They mashed once I started to mix.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c. quick oats
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. red pepper
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until just combined. Some chunks are ok. If you feel as though the texture is too runny–add another handful of oatmeal.
- Pre-heat a non stick skillet. Coat with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- Use an ice cream scoop to measure out patties and brown.
- A rubber spatula is a good aide in flattening the patties once they are in the pan.
- Brown on each side 2-3 minutes, depending on your preference of brown-ness.
- Serve hot and fresh!