I ate like a pig today so by the time supper time rolled around, I knew I should probably opt out of anything rich. I like to be full though (who doesn’t?) so when PIC sent me a text asking me what I wanted for supper, only one thing came to mind: portabello burgers. Meaty tasting, rich, and without all the heaviness of a hunk of meat. PIC got the mushrooms and added some nice extras for me to grill.
- 2 big portabellos cleaned with the gills and stem removed
- olive oil
- a few splashes of balsamic vinegar for each mushroom cap
- two slices provolone cheese
- two slices prosciutto ham
- fresh basil leaves
- Get the grill good and hot.
- Sprinkle salt/pepper inside caps of mushrooms and drizzle olive oil.
- Place cap side up on grill.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes or until the cap begins to soften.
- Flip and grill cap side down for an additional 2 minutes or until you’ve reached a desired tenderness.
- Flip the caps back over and start filling them.
- Layer in basil, cheese, and prosciutto.
- Grill your buns.
- Close the grill lid and let the cheese melt and buns toast
- Assemble your burgers. Top with some light mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, or anything you like.