Cut the meat week! I love a good steak, a grilled piece of chicken, any protein is usually good, but I am subject to eat too much meat. As I’ve rejuvenated my motivation to change my lifestyle leading me to the conclusion that I eat a lot of MEAT! I won’t go vegetarian on anyone and I love me some meaty meat, but I need to continue to be more conscientious about the amount of meat and regularity with which I eat meat. Eggs are a great stand in for meat. Full of protein and egg whites only have about 17 calories per egg white. You can still feel full and satisfied without all of the fat and cholesterol.
Eggs for dinner, eggs for lunch, eggs for breakfast….I could eat eggs for all three meals of the day. A versatile food for sure! I saw a recipe on Real Simple and modified it for what I had on hand and in a smaller portion. I also separated the eggs and used only one yolk since it was just me eating it. The brie was a nice addition and made it creamy, but feel free to leave it out–it will make it even healthier. I added it when I put the egg yolk on top with only about four minutes left of cooking time so the yolk wouldn’t over cook.
serves 1 or 2
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 t. minced garlic or 1 clove minced
- 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1 huge handful of raw spinach (approximately 1 c. once cooked down) you can use frozen spinach that has been squeezed free of water
- 4 egg whites (5 if you like it super ‘eggie’)
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
- 2 oz. brie, cut into small pieces (optional)
- Heat oven to 400° F. Heat the oil in a medium (6 inch) skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. If you use a stainless skillet, this is a one pan meal. If you don’t have one, you’ll have to transfer it to a baking dish for the oven.
- Add the spinach and cook down until it wilts, about 2-3 minutes
- Add the tomatoes, salt, and pepper and heat through.
- Separate the egg whites then pour them over the spinach mixture.
- Put the skillet in the oven or if you didn’t have a metal skillet–transfer the whole skillet contents to an oven safe dish that’s approximately the same size. After 15 minutes, check on it. If it’s setting up, top with the egg yolk and brie for the last 3-4 minutes. This will ensure a runny yolk if that’s what you want.
- Bake until the whites are set, 20 to 22 minutes.