No meat week? Quinoa–if I haven’t sang its’ praises enough, I’ll sing one more time….In an effort to reduce my meat consumption, refined carb consumption and still manage to enjoy the taste and texture of them–quinoa has become a staple for me. I can eat a cup of quinoa salad of some sort for lunch and it gives me the fuel to power through the afternoon. Full of protein, it helps keep me full and provides me what I need nutritionally without having a steak. (Steak is amazing….just not every day). If my pineapple blueberry quinoa wasn’t up your alley, maybe this recipe is!
Tabbouleh is a great way to replace the bulgar with quinoa. I found a recipe and modified it to make it my own.
- 1 c. uncooked quinoa
- chicken stock/broth
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 c. minced onion
- 1/2 chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 english cucumber chopped small and uniform
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1 1/2 T. olive oil
- 1 t. dijon mustard
- 1 t. salt
- 1t. black pepper
- Prepare the quinoa with half chicken stock/half water according to package directions.
- Once quinoa is cooked, add chopped onion and garlic and mix. Cool in fridge or on counter.
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil,mustard, salt, and pepper together to form a dressing.
- Once quinoa is cool, add the vegetables and parsley.
- Cool thoroughly and enjoy!