My ode to potatoes:
I love you.
I love french fries. I haven’t ever met anyone who scoffs at them and turns up their nose. In the event that I meet anyone who despises them, I’ll simply ask them if I can eat the fries off of their plate. Hopefully they let me.
Baked fries are a no brainer. I can get the taste, texture and mouthfeel and save some of the calories. I like my baked fries a bit soggier than the average “joe” so feel free to bake them a bit longer to get them good and crisp. I used red potatoes because that’s what was in my kitchen, but a nice yukon gold or sweet potato would do the same trick. Alter the cooking time if you prefer wedges or something that’s bigger. Just make sure they’re uniform in size for even cooking.
- 4 medium or large sized potatoes
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic or 1 t.
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1/2 t. red or cayenne pepper (they’re the same thing, just labeled differently sometimes)
- Wash/dry potatoes and cut into uniform sticks. I cut mine about 3/4 inch thick.
- Soak potatoes in cold water. It will release some of the starch. You can soak them for as little as 5 minutes or rinse them thoroughly.
- While potatoes are soaking, put the garlic and olive oil in a saucepan or shallow pan and heat it on the stove over a low heat so the garlic will infuse the oil and make it taste great. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and pat dry with paper towels.
- Spread on a baking sheet.
- Pour oil over potatoes. Do not use the cooked garlic, it will burn in the oven and make your fries taste burned. You can pour the oil out and use a spoon to block the cooked garlic.
- Sprinkle the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper over the top of the potatoes and oil.
- Toss to coat with your hands or tongs. Spread potatoes in one layer for even cooking.
- Cook in a 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Flip halfway through cooking time for even browning.
- Serve hot! Might I suggest ketchup, ranch, mayo,hot sauce, or any favorite condiment?