Summer picnics and parties are coming quickly! These cupcakes make a great dish to pass because folks can take one and be on their way, no fork or plate required. Boston cream pie is a favorite in my families’ house. My dad adores it. I saw a recipe for a boston cream poke cake and thought it would make the perfect individually sized treat. Basically–portion control for my piggy face 😀
Hungry girl has some great alternatives to the eggs and oil in a cake mix and I love their chocolate cake made with greek yogurt, so I tried the yellow cake with no sugar added applesauce. YUM! The creative team over at cookie madness had a great recipe for Boston Cream Poke Cake leading me to believe that these would taste great in individual form.
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 c. no sugar added applesauce
- 1 c. water
- 1 standard box of vanilla pudding
- 2 c. milk
- Prepare cake mix by mixing the mix with applesauce and water until smooth. A whisk will do the job really well.
- Fill the 24 cupcake liners
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Prepare pudding according to package directions.
- Put in fridge to let thicken while the cupcakes cool a bit.
- Once cupcakes are cool(er) fill a ziploc bag or frosting/pastry bag with the pudding.
- Poke a hole in the middle of each cupcake not quite to the bottom of the cupcake, but about halfway with something round (the end of a bamboo skewer) or use a large diameter frosting tip.
- Fill each hole with pudding by cutting off the corner of the ziploc bag or using a large frosting tip and pushing a dollop of pudding in the middle of each one.
To make the glaze:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large (3 quart), nonstick saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the chocolate and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted.
- Let cool for 4 minutes, then with a wooden spoon, beat in the sugar and boiling water, beating until smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Pour or spoon over each cupcake. Return to the refrigerator and let the frosting set. Chill until ready to serve.