June is dairy month! What better way to celebrate than with some AWESOME hasselback bread featuring parmesan, cheddar, and butter???? Did you know that cows have four stomachs? Each compartment is responsible for digesting their food, making them able to digest all of those forages.
As the daughter of dairy farmers, I’ve got to respect the dairy industry and I just love it! This bread will make you royalty in your kitchen. I had time to make homemade dough with the help of the bread machine and added fresh thyme, rosemary, and garlic powder to the dough while it was mixing to give the dough some added flavor. If you don’t have the time for homemade bread, grab some pre-made frozen loaves or a tube of french bread from the refrigerator case at the grocery store. If you use fresh bread from the bakery or ‘bake off’ bread, just follow the package instructions and let it cool before slicing it and inserting the dairy deliciousness!
I modeled my recipe from Lauren’s Latest and made modifications where I needed too. I add flax to my bread dough and as I already mentioned: the extra herbs and garlic.
Here we go!
- Two loaves of french bread or bread of choice. As I said above, I made bread, but you can do what you want!
- 1/4 c. parmesan cheese
- 4 T. melted butter
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. italian seasoning or herbs of choice
- 8 oz. of extra sharp cheddar cheese sliced thin
- Once bread is cooked and cooled for at least 20 minutes, slice on a bias using a bread knife.
- Melt butter and add parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and herbs of choice. The mixture will be pasty.
- Using a pastry brush, brush butter mixture between slices.
- Add slices of cheese in the slices.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for an additional 5 minutes.