There is something so simple about summer food in our house. Minimal prep time, almost no oven time, and the fresh flavor of the produce gets to be the star of the meal. Beets are an excellent summer food. You can roast or steam them when it’s cool and store them until you’re ready for them.
My issue of “Everyday Food” showed up the other day. This recipe was in there and incidentally, it was the same day our weekly CSA share also gets picked up. Beautiful tomatoes and colorful beets were both part of the share and I was excited to be able to make this with fresh ingredients. I added a splash of balsamic vinegar at the end, adding a nice bite to the whole dish.
- 1 lb. cooked beets (you can use canned or cook your own fresh)
- 1 lb. tomatoes
- 1/4 c. crumbled feta
- fresh cilantro leaves
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Slice tomatoes and arrange on a large platter.
- Slice cooked beets and arrange over tomatoes.
- Top with the feta cheese.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper and cilantro leaves.
- Drizzle olive oil and balsamic all over dish.