Oh summer, you always invite your partner in crime Ice Cream and I cannot resist. Here we go! July is National Ice Cream Month and I waste no time singing its’ praises! It’s before July 1st and I’m posting this one because you NEED to make this NOW!!! Get it ready for your upcoming summer picnics. Line a pan with graham crackers and turn this into an ice cream cake, it will be delicious.
I fell in love with this recipe because I don’t need an ice cream maker, something I do not possess. I had asked to borrow a colleague’s machine, but to no avail, I took the challenge of creating ice cream and other frozen desserts minus the ice cream maker.
I found the original recipe in a cooking magazine and the fine folks at Philadelphia cream cheese (Kraft Foods) were kind enough to also post it online. I omitted full fat anything and used: low fat cream cheese, 2% milk in place of the heavy cream, and fat free condensed milk. I don’t miss the calories.
20 min. + freezer time
- 1 pkg.(8 oz.) low fat, softened
- 1 can(14 oz.) fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 tsp.lemon zest
- 1-1/2 cupsfresh strawberries
- 3 graham crackers, coarsely chopped (I had regular, but chocolate grahams would also be a great substitute)
- Mix first 4 ingredients with mixer until well blended. Freeze 4 hours or until almost solid.
- Beat cream cheese mixture with mixer until creamy. Blend berries in blender until smooth. Add to cream cheese mixture with chopped grahams; mix well. Freeze 8 hours or until firm.
- Remove dessert from freezer 15 min. before serving; let stand at room temperature to soften slightly before scooping into dishes.