Yee haw! Well, not really, but this is my favorite corn bread recipe….I credit my sister for turning me onto it the first time and I’ve been working in it ever since. I don’t have a cast iron skillet so I settled for a square pan. You can double this recipe up to feed a large crowd and cook it in a 9×13 pan with no problems. Every time I make corn bread it’s always a little different depending on what I have for ingredients. The corn bread is a basic recipe but if you like jiffy mix or another mix, go for it. I cut some of the sugar and oil where I could but it’s still a classic corn bread recipe with some delicious friends. This is also a clever way to get kids and adults to eat their vegetables. Although, I’m sure it’s still a bit skewed.
Cook time will vary with this depending on what you use as add on’s. If you just make the bread, cook time will be about 25 minutes. If you use frozen corn, it may take as long as 40 so watch this one! I don’t want to say “cook for 20 min.” and then have an angry reader tell me they had corn mush….
10 min + 40 min. to cook
- 3/4 c. cornmeal
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 c. veg oil
- 1 pkg. frozen corn (12 oz. give or take)
- 1 c. shredded cheese of choice
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray an 8×8 or 9×9 square pan with no stick spray.
- Blend all dry ingredients together (corn meal, flour, powder, sugar, salt).
- Add wet ingredients to mixing bowl (milk, egg, oil).
- Stir to incorporate.
- Fold in frozen corn (fresh is fine as well off the cob), cheese, onion, and jalapeno.
- Spread into greased pan and bake for 30-35 minutes. The cook time may vary and frozen corn will add a few minutes of cook time. Use 30 min. as a baseline and then start checking on it in 5 min. increments.