Peach cobbler had a hot date with a sugar cookie and their spawn was this 🙂 You can modify this recipe for all kinds of fruit, but peaches are the hot fruit at the moment. These bars are loaded with fresh peaches, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice to compliment their natural sweetness. They have a great texture with the crumble top and are sort of like a piece of pie without the need for a fork. Vanilla ice cream is optional.
Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free….Anyone remember that song???? In true summer fashion peaches are about a dime a dozen here in the south and I am no dummy. The season has been fantastic and I’ve been enjoying a fresh peach every morning, noon, and night it seems. I was farther south seeing my sister and found an awesome roadside stand on the way back. The peaches were the size of my face. Major peach here. I rescued as many as I could only to realize that my eyes were bigger than my stomach and they were getting too ripe too fast for me.
I found about a dozen recipes for these bars and added my own spin on them. I cut the sugar in half (I don’t like uber sweet things all of the time) and subbed in my favorite greek yogurt for the sour cream.
20 min. prep + cooking time
- 4 1/2 cups peaches, peeled, pitted and diced (about 8 small peaches, use firm but ripe)
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 2 Tbsp orange or lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup salted butter, cold and diced into cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup non fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss peaches with the juice and optional orange zest.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture over peach mixture and toss to evenly coat, set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a fork or pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream and vanilla extract.
- Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and stir until well combine.
- Add in remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar and stir until combine.
- Spread and press half of crumb mixture into an even layer in a greased 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Toss peach mixture once more and pour over bottom crumb layer and spread peaches into an even layer (spread juices evenly too).
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over top of peaches into an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven 45-50 minutes until golden.
- Serve warm with optional vanilla ice cream or allow to cool and cut into bars. Store bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator.