These little fella’s are hiding their big secret inside, the cheese melts, gets hot, and you burn your tongue. But, it’s totally worth it. Trust me. Totally worth it. I found ground chicken on sale (amazing) but ground turkey or any other ground protein of choice would work well. If I had a big freezer, I would have bought some more ground chicken just to freeze, a lb. was less than $2, a big win in my grocery shopping week but not as big as when Ben & Jerry’s goes on sale. Then, there is celebration everywhere.
My new issue of Everyday Food came and these caught my eye immediately. And then I saw “2 cups oil” and my eye connected to my brain and I thought–hells to the NO. I’m not dumping these amazing things in oil. So, I stood in my kitchen and thought about my options. Less oil-NO. No breadcrumbs-NO. Baked, not fried and then baked- YES.
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 2 c. breadcrumbs (panko preferred)
- 1/2 c. milk
- 2 mozzarella cheese sticks cut into about 10 pieces
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- cooked pasta of choice
- marinara of choice
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl combine chicken, 1/2 c. breadcrumbs (italian is fine for the meatballs), salt, pepper, and milk.
- Mix just until combined.
- Place panko (italian is also fine here) breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
- Divide chicken mixture into 9-10 balls, depending on size.
- Form balls with piece of cheese in the middle.
- Roll in bread crumbs and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve hot with pasta and marinara or as sandwiches.