This dip is smooth, creamy, and amazingly healthy and full of fiber! Serve this with crudités or warm pita and no one will be any wiser at your holiday gatherings that they’re eating something that’s not loaded with calories and fat. I love this dip because I can put it together in less than 15 min. if I’m in a hurry and a bag of pre-cut carrots on a tray make it look like someone could stay home and cook all day–sort of like rice krispie treats 🙂
I love hummus and most beany dips. I don’t like making hummus because I’m lazy and don’t want to peel the chick peas/garbanzo beans. Yes, I said it, I’m lazy. I feel the same way about ironing and measuring when I cook. I can’t help it. I just hate peeling beans. Now you know my secrets 🙂 I made several iterations of this dip before I was happy with it. I tried it chunky and super duper smooth. I settled on this one because it balanced the smoothness and the extra bite from the acidic lemon juice.
- 1 can white beans (northern, cannellini)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- olive oil
- fresh chopped herbs of choice (parsley, green onion, dill)
- Drain beans and save bean juice in case you need to thin your dip while blending. Set aside bean juice (gross word?)
- Put beans and garlic in a blender of food processor.
- Add lemon juice and a splash of olive oil. I also put in about 2 TBS of the bean juice.
- Blend or pulse until the beans are smooth.
- Remove dip from blender/processor. Add salt, pepper, and herbs.
- Serve with crudités or warm pita