Can I make grilled cheese even tastier? <–this question crossed my mind. I answered my own question with YES! The parmesan cheese forms a beautiful crust and paired with some warm soup or cut small and served over a salad, you could make your own parm crusted croutons!!! I used sharp cheddar and some colby jack in mine but almost any combination of cheese is a good way to go. If I were going to request my last meal, it would involve some kind of melted cheese or a cheese board the size of my kitchen table. I’d probably weigh at least 10 lbs. less if I quit eating so much cheese. Since that’s not happening, we’ll just move on, shall we?
My issue of everyday food arrived and it took me weeks to get to it. I just didn’t have the time to go through magazines or I was too busy watching bad tv at night instead of stimulating my brain. This led to a ‘food funk’ where I didn’t feel like cooking for about a week and proceeded to eat cheese, crackers, pepperoni, and slices of apple for most meals. Thank goodness I don’t have kids or a demanding husband or something. I don’t know if feeding them cheese and crackers for a week solid would be good parenting/spouse behavior. I was brought out of my food funk with this sandwich. I thought, “it looks good, how can it be bad, it’s grilled cheese with more grilled cheese.” I was sold.
some self control
- 4 TBS. parmesan cheese
- 2 pieces of bread, your choice
- cheese of choice
- mustard/jam/condiments of choice
- thinly sliced apples/ham/other sandwich fixin’s’
- Pre-heat a skillet on medium
- Lay out other ingredients in an assembly line style (comes in handy later, I promise).
- Pour parmesan cheese in a shallow plate or dish.
- Butter one side of a piece of bread.
- Lay butter side down in parmesan cheese. Press firmly and get it covered.
- Lay bread, butter/cheese side down into heated skillet
- Layer on other ingredients: cheese, mustard, apples, etc…
- Take remaining slice of bread and butter.
- Lay in parmesan cheese to coat.
- Top sandwich.
- Toast sandwich about 3 min. on each side or until desired brownness is reached.