Creamy caramel with coconut, shortbread dipped in chocolate. I’m drooling, are you???? 😀
I made these with PIC in mind. He
likes loves the girl scout cookies so I thought it would be a nice holiday gesture to make for him and give some away to share. He wouldn’t eat a 9×13 pan by himself, but some were a nice treat for both of us. I tend to give away most of the baked goods to undergrads and share with friends to help keep the massive amount of sweets out of the house. I enjoy them but do try and practice some self control. I don’t always win but I do try 🙂
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- 12-oz chewy caramels
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 20 oz. chocolate chips or chocolate candy coat
Preheat oven to 350F
Toast the coconut on a baking sheet in oven while oven preheats. Turn occasionally, about 10 min.
For the cookie base.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Next beat in eggs and vanilla. Mix in flour and salt until just combined. The mixture will be pretty crumble. That’s okay! Press it into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Allow to cool.
For the topping:
- Melt the (unwrapped) caramels in the microwave safe dish with milk.
- Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between.
- Add the coconut to the melted caramel and stir to combine. Once combined, spread coconut/caramel topping onto shortbread base. Press into pan with piece of wax or parchment paper to avoid a sticky mess.
- Allow to cool completely in fridge.
- Cut the bars into the desired shape.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave or use double boiler method (remember to stir every 30 seconds).
- Dip cookie base into chocolate, place on wax/parchment paper.
- Put the remaining melted chocolate in a ziploc bag and cut off a tip so you get a tiny piping bag.
- Pipe lines of chocolate on each one.
- Refrigerate a little bit so chocolate hardens then serve!