Who doesn’t love a one pan meal? I don’t see any hands in the air…..You’ll love this dish because you can make it in less than 30 minutes and only dirty a deep skillet, cutting board, and knife. I promise. This is a fantastic dish that’s a lighter version of some of the heavy winter comfort food we all love. I subbed in turkey sausage/kielbasa, used 2% milk, and reduced fat sour cream to lighten it up. You could use whole wheat pasta or go gluten free, the possibilities are endless. I also had the peas and spinach in the fridge/freezer but get creative with this!
Hooray for a mid-week meal that won’t leave you in the kitchen for over an hour!! I’ve been making dishes like this lately and eating the leftovers for lunches. Right after the holidays, I still want things that are tasty and comforting but without some of the guilt. This one fits the bill on all levels.
I was purging my pantry and only had egg noodles and plain tomatoes, but perhaps rotel or italian diced tomatoes would add more flavor up front. I put in some cajun seasoning and italian seasoning to give it some more flavor. I always purge again after the holidays to get rid of some of the holiday cooking. The only cupboard that takes longer to purge down is the ‘baking’ cupboard but fear not, Valentine’s Day will yield some delicious treats from the kitchen!
serves 4 plus leftovers
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb smoked turkey kielbasa, sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel tomatoes
- 1/2 cup 2% milk (any is fine)
- 8 oz egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups chopped spinach (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
- cajun seasoning
- italian seasoning
- Heat olive oil over medium hight heat in a 12-inch oven safe skillet until hot.
- Add sausage, onion, and garlic, and cook until lightly browned.
- Add broth, tomatoes, milk, pasta, and stir. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover skillet. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until pasta is tender.
- Add any veggies you have to heat them through if using frozen.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in sour cream. Add any additional seasonings you choose.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes to set up and thicken. Serve hot!
Need some other one pan meals?