Valentine’s Day is rolling up and if you love chocolate but don’t want to feel quite as guilty about a splurge, this might be a good place to start. You still get the chocolate with less guilt. You can still indulge in some cherry goodness.
Let’s not pretend: box mixes are sometimes the best thing ever. We all rely on them when we don’t have the time, patience, budget, or know-how to get something together. I found a bunch of ‘clearance priced’ brownie mixes at my kroger and bought a few because they were really cheap! I brought them home with good intentions…two months ago…..
So, here we are! You’ll love these because they’re easy to put together, slightly healthier without any oil, and when you bite into one, you don’t miss the oil or notice the whole grain oats in your mouth. I added in some cherries because they are AWESOME!! If cherries aren’t your ‘thing,’ just skip them. These are chewy, cakey, chocolatey, and rich enough for a glass of milk.
10 min. + cook time
- 1 box of brownie mix
- applesauce instead of the oil that package calls for (no sugar added)
- 1/2 cup whole oats (optional)
- 1/2 cup pitted cherries (optional)
- Pre-heat oven according to package directions.
- Prepare pan according to package directions.
- Mix brownie mix, subbing applesauce for oil.
- Fold in cherries and oats.
- Spread in pan.
- Bake according to package directions.
- Your taste testers won’t know the difference.