I love a good breakfast on a lazy Saturday. It’s my favorite thing. I don’t know if it’s the lazy atmosphere around it or the actual food but I do know that after an hour or two with my DVR, my stomach is no longer happy with just coffee. It’s usually around 10 a.m. by around this point and suitable for a larger meal that will do as brunch, leaving me satisfied until well into mid-afternoon. I don’t mind a weekend splurge if I know it’s going to be good for two meals worth of points on WW. This may be a great weekend breakfast for you too! It’s filling and satisfying without being too heavy, perhaps a great meal before the big game or another occasion that will have you eating a lot of other good stuff later in the day.
I left out some of the calories by using mostly egg whites, turkey sausage, and pumping up the flavor train with fresh herbs. I keep fresh green onions around all of the time. I bring them home and put them in a jar of water so they will keep growing. I always have fresh green onions this way. I do the same with cilantro. When I bring it home, I trim the ends and put them in a jar of water and cover them with a plastic bag ‘tent’ and keep them in the fridge. Once a week (or so), I trim them again and change out the water. Fresh cilantro for weeks!
Anyway…you’ll love this because it’s super simple, fast to put together, and healthier than some of the cheese laden, fried, carb loaded breakfast dishes that we have become accustom to in the world. Don’t get me wrong, I like one of those every now and again, but I don’t want to feel like crap for the rest of the day with a ‘gut bomb’ following me around. As I continue to venture on my own healthy journey, I find the balance tough sometimes.
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- water/milk/sour cream to thin eggs
- 3 turkey sausage links, chopped fine (loose turkey sausage is also fine)
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- black olives (optional)
- 3 corn tortillas
- 1/4 of an avocado
- hot sauce
- Whisk the egg, egg whites, milk/water/sour cream (your choice, choose one), salt & pepper, turkey sausage, cilantro, and green onions until done in a non stick pan.
- Add cheese at the end to melt.
- Slice avocado into thin strips or chunks.
- Top eggs with avocado’s.
- Serve with warm tortilla’s or roll into breakfast taco’s.
- Top with salsa, hot sauce or sprinkle a little more cheese.