I had a breakfast pizza at brunch before the holidays and it was divine. It was topped with decadent béchamel sauce and you could see the fat glistening on the top. While delicious, not the best ‘choice’ for regular weekend eating. The crust was thick and doughy and when I tried to replicate this, I wanted to keep something crusty without the extra carbs and used a whole wheat pita to keep things healthy. I also used a pre-made pita for the most obvious reason: the last thing I feel like doing on a Saturday morning is making a crust or doing any extra work. Think low maintenance….think “enjoy your life.”
You’ll really like this because it’s still decadent with a runny yolk but without the extra fatty sauce. Some cheese is a splurge without being too heavy and who can resist some turkey sausage? Me neither….This can be on your plate in no time and you can take the time while it’s cooking to enjoy a cup of coffee or chase your kids or sit on your couch to enjoy 15 minutes of alone time.
- 1 whole wheat pita (7-10 inch round)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheese of choice
- 2 turkey sausage links (crumbles are also fine)
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh green onions
- fresh avocado, fresh fruit, or other side’s
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
- Layer pita with cheese, turkey sausage, green onion, and cilantro.
- Crack an egg in the middle.
- Top with salt and pepper
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until egg is set. A few minutes less if you like runny yolk, a few minutes more if you prefer it be set up.
- Serve up with fresh fruit, avocado, or other side