You’ll love this recipe because it’s breakfast and dessert but without any oil in it! It comes together in a snap for easy cooking and keeps well all week for you to grab and go on your way out the door. You can double this up to make a 9×13 pan for everyone to enjoy. I kept it all ‘whole’ grain using only whole wheat flour and whole oats and oat flour. If you don’t have oat flour on hand, just pulse your whole oats in the food processor, blender, or whatever you have to get oat flour. You’ll want a coarse grind on the oat flour. No oil or other fats make these relatively healthy compared to some of the pre-packaged stuff on the shelves and by tossing in a few sweet dried fruits or chips, you’ll get a treat as well.
I eat a lot of egg whites, wheat toast, and coffee for breakfast. It’s fast, healthy, and I can hard boil a dozen eggs on Sunday so they’ll be ready for me during the work week. But sometimes, I just get sick of them. On weekends, I generally make other delicious things and during the week I’ll make quick egg sandwiches, but generally it’s egg whites. My whole breakfast is only 4 points, leaving me enough points for the day. I like to eat more in the evenings, so I try to leave a few points for a hearty evening meal.
10 min. prep + cook time
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour (you can take whole oats and pulse them until they break up–about 30 seconds)
- 1 cup whole oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (omit if you don’t have any)
- 2 tablespoons flax meal (omit if you don’t have any)
- 1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup raisins, craisins, or golden raising (any kind of dried fruit will do)
- 1/4 cup chopped nut of choice (I had some hazelnuts on hand)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- handful of chocolate chips or white chips (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 8×8 or 9×9 pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Spread in pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Bars will look ‘dry’ on top when they’re done.
- Cut into squares for easy serving.