You’ll love this dish because it would be great for any kind of “meatless Monday” or when you need something that can sit out without any trouble. This reheats beautifully, keeps for several days, and did I mention it’s VEGAN???? A Domesticated Academic first for sure! The actual vegan at the party was impressed and asked to take some for leftovers at the end of the night, which was fine because it makes a ton!
I had a challenge: make a vegan dish for a potluck. Challenge accepted! I wanted to make sure it was flavor packed and had some meaty qualities. Mushrooms to the rescue! Two large, fresh portobella’s and a standard package of white button mushrooms transformed this dish and I’ll be honest, I didn’t miss the meat.
about 30 min.
- 2 large portobella caps, sliced lengthwise, stems & gills removed
- 8 oz (small package) white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- feta cheese (optional)
- sauté onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook down until tender, approximately 5-8 minutes
- Add rosemary, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat.
- Add artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, sundried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and lemon juice.
- Serve hot over rice. Garnish with scallions or fresh parsley. Top with feta.