You’ll love these because they’re low carb, simple to put together, and you can use a variety of ingredients to mix things up based on what you have on hand at the time. I was home alone after a really busy week of work, house sitting for one friend, and house-cat-dog sitting for another friend. The dog is old and did NOT want to be at my house. In fact, she let me know this at 2 a.m. the first night so I drove her back to her house and spent the next four days driving back/forth 3x a day to make sure everyone was happy. I had intended to lay low on a Friday night but a friend came over for an impromptu cookout that was lovely. It did mean that I was driving to walk the dog at midnight and I’m just going to say it: I was worn out on Saturday.
I stayed in and picked up some fresh rainbow chard to go with the summer squash that had been in my CSA bag a few days earlier. I had a leftover hamburger from the cookout on Friday that I broke into small pieces and used as the protein but to lighten them, I’d recommend turkey or chicken or leaving the meat out all together for a true vegetarian dish. These were very filling, I had one and a fresh sliced tomato and called it dinner.
I chose to grill the squash for about 5 minutes first to get some nice color on the ‘boat’ side but you don’t have too.
20 min. if everything is prepped and ready
- 2 medium sized summer squash or zucchini, cut lengthwise
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup ground turkey or diced chicken, cooked
- 1/2 cup cooked greens (I cooked down some rainbow chard w/ onion & garlic)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of choice
- Pre-heat your grill on medium high heat.
- Cut squash lengthwise and use a spoon to dig out the guts. leave a rim around the edge of each squash so the filling will stay in.
- Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Grill 2-3 minutes with the rim side down, you’ll get a nice color and the squash will begin to soften.
- Flip once and leave for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from grill.
- Combine the meat, greens, and cheese.
- Mix lightly.
- Use a spoon or your hands and stuff each squash boat and pack it lightly.
- Sprinkle with more cheese if desired.
- Place boats back on the grill with the skin side down to brown and soften the bottom of the squash.
- Grill for approximately 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted and everything is warm.
- Remove and serve immediately.