You’ll love this recipe because it’s super easy, a bit less fatty than some of the other creamed spinach recipes, and you can whip it up in just a few minutes, making it the ultimate fancy side dish. It can be our little secret that it’s not super time consuming to make 🙂 A nice bag of spinach was in my CSA share last week and I was looking for something different than a simple saute. I was also rewarding myself with a big ol’ steak and thought about how steakhouses serve creamed spinach with their perfectly grilled steaks. Challenge accepted!
Say hello to my friend Wild Turkey American Honey! (Hello, I love you) You don’t have to add the alcohol, but it does add a nice hint of flavor and will make it pop. Don’t take my word for it. I also understand if you’re weary but if there’s no kids to feed, go ahead….you know you want too!
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
- 1 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
- 2 shots Wild Turkey American Honey
- 1 cup Milk
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch Ground Nutmeg
- Parmesan cheese
- olive oil or butter
- 12 ounces, weight Baby Spinach
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk together.
- Cook over medium heat for five minutes or until light golden brown.
- Add onion and garlic and stir together, cooking for another minute.
- Deglaze pan with whiskey and allow the alcohol to cook off for about one minute.
- Pour in milk, whisking constantly, and cook for another five minutes while you cook the spinach.
- To cook spinach, melt about 3 tablespoons butter or use olive oil in a separate pot.
- Add spinach in increments until all incorporated, and cook until wilted but not soggy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Season the cream sauce with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add spinach to the cream sauce, stirring gently to combine. Serve immediately.