Brussels sprouts might become your favorite vegetable in 2014…maybe not. You’ll love this because it’s sweet, spicy, and with a hint of some bacon, you can’t go wrong knowing everything is better with bacon. For the health conscious, leave it out or use turkey bacon. I promise you won’t regret it. Use one strip if you want the flavor with a lot less guilt!
Brussels sprouts grew on me over time and now I’m always looking for them fresh. Frozen is good if that’s all you can get but fresh are sometimes a good option when they’re in good shape at the grocery store. If the pickings are slim, opt for frozen. You can leave out the spice or sub in your favorite. Just make it yours–just like you!
- 1 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved
- 2 slices of bacon of choice, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons oil of choice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the bacon in a sauté pan or preferred method. Chop into small pieces or cut before cooking with scissors <–yes, it’s really a great method!
- Cut the sprouts in half. If some of the leaves come off, that’s ok, cook them up too!
- Sauté the sprouts and garlic with some olive oil (or bacon grease) 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
- Finish the sprouts by tossing in the chili sauce, honey, and adding the bacon back in.
- Salt and pepper to taste.