You’ll love this because the cinnamon pops, it’s warm and rich without being too heavy, and will really pump up any Spring breakfast or brunch! This is a twist on the classic breakfast bake that I already love. This is a lighter version that’s perfect for Spring and Easter or any old day. It also keeps very well so you can make it ahead and reheat it or serve at room temperature. Some maple syrup over the top will seal the deal for anyone who joins you for brunch.
This is a one-to-one ratio so for every slice of bread, an egg will be needed for the custard. Keep this in mind if you want to double or halve the recipe, it’s up to you. The bread gets browned and the bits sticking up get golden while the custard cooks up and the cinnamon shines through.
- non-stick spray
- 4 slices of bread, torn into pieces
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice
- Spray a 8×8 pan with non stick spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Tear bread into the pan
- Mix the eggs, milk, cinnamon, salt, and pepper into a custard.
- Pour across the top of the bread
- Top with cheese
- Bake for 20 minutes until everything is cooked through.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with maple syrup.